What is Nia?
Nia stands for neuromuscular integrative action.
In short, an act that unites body and mind.
Nia is a blend of
* Dance arts: jazz dance, modern dance and Duncan dance.
* Martial Arts: Tai Chi, Tae Kwondo and Aikido
* Healing Arts: Yoga, Feldenkrais and Alexander Technique.
Strengthens your body, muscles and joints.
Reduces stress and increases concentration and balance.
Nia increase self-expression and creativity.
Teaches you to listen to your body,it helps you to self-heal again.
A Nia class is always a combination of simple movements to music. 52 (barefoot) movements include the construction and function of the body as a base. The whole body is covered: the base (feet, legs), the core (torso and pelvis) and upper limbs (shoulders, arms, hands) and head.
Both beginners and experienced athletes respite from the intensity and size of varying the movement are welcome.
Nia makes use of variations in speed of movement, movement styles, size and motion of energy.
Through a mix of fixed combinations and freestyle moves Nia is a safe workout for body, emotions and spirit where creativity is encouraged and exercise habits to be broken but it never feels like work!
Nia is a unique concept by making use of:
- The Body's Way - respect for the possibilities and limits of your body
- Body, Mind, Spirit - respect for the whole "being"
- Joy, the pleasure of moving - respect for expression and emotion
- Individual sensation as a starting point
- Combination of Eastern and Western philosophy
- Visual language
- Interactive and flexible teaching style
- The healing aspect of music and sound